Episode Title: “The Arctic Sentinels: Polar Bears and Climate Change” with Andrew Derocher
In this eye-opening episode of Northern Latitudes, we delve into the icy realms of the Arctic with distinguished guest Professor Andrew Derocher, a leading authority on polar bear ecology from the University of Alberta. With decades of research under his belt, Prof. Derocher brings a wealth of knowledge about these majestic creatures, the challenges they face, and what their future might hold in a rapidly changing world.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn About:
- Polar Bear Ecology: Discover the fascinating world of polar bears, their biology, behavior, and the critical role they play in Arctic ecosystems.
- Impact of Climate Change: Prof. Derocher discusses the profound effects of climate change on polar bear habitats, particularly the loss of sea ice and its implications for bear survival.
- Research Insights: Gain unique insights from Prof. Derocher’s extensive field research.
- Future Prospects: What does the future hold for polar bears? Explore the challenges and opportunities in safeguarding these iconic animals for generations to come.
About Our Guest: Professor Andrew Derocher has been studying polar bears for over 40 years, focusing on their ecology, conservation, and management. He is a professor at the University of Alberta and has contributed to numerous scientific studies, policy discussions, and conservation initiatives aimed at understanding and preserving polar bears and their Arctic habitat.
- Prof. Derochers U of Alberta profile page and X (Twitter)
- From Google Books – Prof. Derocher’s Book Polar Bears: A Complete Guide to Their Biology and Behavior
- Polar Bears International – A non-profit dedicated to the conservation of polar bears.
Connect with Us: We love hearing from our listeners! Share your thoughts, questions, or feedback with us on Facebook, or email us at podcast[@]northernlatitudes.ca . Don’t forget to subscribe for more episodes of Northern Latitudes.